Support projects Enhanced Data Delivery
This project supports the program in digital transformation and data infrastructure, building on the robust and flexible systems developed through other innovative programs across Geoscience Australia.
A cornerstone of the project is delivery of huge volumes of data on Australia's sub-surface, through the Exploring for the Future Data Discovery Portal. Expanding on this capability, the project is improving user experience and functionality of existing integrated data discovery and decision-support platforms and technologies. A focus of innovation includes expansion of world-first decision-support tools, such as online economic and resource potential modelling. New mapping tools are being created to share the knowledge uncovered by the program and our improved understanding of the land with local stakeholders.
This digital transformation is underpinned by extensive work on data standardisation and delivery of FAIRer1 scientific data, ensuring the program is at the forefront of best practice in scientific data management and stewardship. This new generation of data infrastructure aims to attract national and international interest and stimulate investment in Australia’s resources sector for the benefit of all Australians.
1 FAIR: Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable
What we are doing
This project is managing and delivering all information and communications technology activities for the program, including:
- data compilation and analysis from legacy publications and reports
- database development on existing and new systems
- GIS and data management capabilities through General Information Services and ongoing support
- enhanced data analysis and modelling with innovative toolkit and automation developments
- data development through web services and geoprocessing capabilities for enhanced data delivery
- data delivery and decision support capabilities with new tools and innovative visualisation techniques for web delivery through the Exploring for the Future Data Discovery Portal
- building the Geoscience, Groundwater & Resources of Australian Provinces Atlas (GeoWRAPA) - a one-stop-shop to a curated understanding of Australia’s geological provinces and their resources to inform decision making by government and industry.
Geoscience Knowledge Sharing
Important community information
All data produced by Geoscience Australia, including the data from this project, will be made publicly available. We will work with communities to return the data in a useful format, through the Geoscience Knowledge Sharing project.
Acquisition activities are not being undertaken on behalf of any exploration companies. All Geoscience Australia staff and contractors will comply with Geoscience Australia’s COVID-19 protocols, available upon request.
The current Exploring for the Future program (2020–24) focuses on 8 interrelated projects, united in growing our understanding of Australia's geology.
Three deep-dive projects in potentially resource-rich corridors identified in the east and west of Australia: Darling–Curnamona–Delamerian, Officer–Musgrave and Barkly–Isa–Georgetown projects.
Three national projects with a focus on southern Australia: Australia’s Resources Framework, National Groundwater Systems and Australia’s Future Energy Resources projects.
Two program support projects: Enhanced Data Delivery and Geoscience Knowledge Sharing projects.